Saturday, March 28, 2009

The Farmer Finds a Wife

When Tosten was 30, he bought a farm called "Styrkestad," and decided it was time to get married.

"If I was to be a full-fledged farmer, I had to have a wife. So now I had to try a little along that line, too. But seeing I was going to be busy, it was not wise to make the distance too great. I tried my luck in the immediate vicinity and the final answer was "Yes, she supposed so," seeing I had a place where she could live and call home.

On April 25, 1878, I was married to Sigrid Larsdatter Gjeldaker. Seeing that was taken care of, it was to settle down for good."

-- excerpt from Tosten's autobiography, written in 1917

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Live Well Letters by Kristie Nelson-Neuhaus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.