Friday, March 27, 2009

A Decade of Military Service

When Tosten was 20 years old, his father died. He moved home to help his Mother on the farm. After two years, he was drafted for compulsory training in the military. His mother then sold the family farm to his oldest brother.

"I was in training 40 days. Then I drew so high a number that I qualified for the reserve. So I did not have to stay in training any more, but was still under military rule and had to get permission if I left home for any length of time. This extended over a period of five years. We were then called to serve in the National Guard for five years. But this was not so strict. We did not need permission if we left home for longer trips. In all I was under military rule and in line for active duty for ten years."

-- excerpt from Tosten's autobiography, written in 1917

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Live Well Letters by Kristie Nelson-Neuhaus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.