Monday, March 30, 2009

Dreams of America

Weary of losing money, Tosten looked toward America.

"It was in March that I moved to my own farm "Styrkestad." I had $800 in cash and 13 loads of property, as we say. When I had been there seven years, I had gone back $100 every year. Then I thought I had tried long enough. I was not satisfied when I could not take care of myself. I did not like to keep on until I had lost the place either, because I did not understand such transactions. Those who did could do it that way. It was America I thought of and dreamed of, but how to manage to get there was another question."

--excerpt from Tosten's autobiography, written in 1917

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Live Well Letters by Kristie Nelson-Neuhaus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.