Monday, September 7, 2009

Written Down in the Forgotten Place

I don't know about you, but when I look at photos of unsmiling pioneers and homesteaders, they seem tough as nails. (Of course, one reason they didn't smile was because they couldn't risk a blurry photo.) Then you get a glimpse of the loneliness.


In February, 1892, Sigrid wrote, "Dear unforgettable Father! Mother and Brothers, Now that at last your long-awaited letter has come, I want to send you my thanks for the letter. I often wondered why Father waited so long before he sent us a letter. How lovingly welcome to receive your dear familiar hand again and read the dear lines from Father."


In October she reminded them that "One postday after the other has gone by without a letter from you. It appears to me that I have been written down in your forgotten book at your place. But to freshen your minds, I am sending you a few lines. It could happen that it might interest you."


I love that last line. Zing!

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Live Well Letters by Kristie Nelson-Neuhaus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.