Monday, October 19, 2009

Micheal's Letter to Grandfather

Michigan City, N.D.

Dec. 3, 1893


Dear Grandfather,


Because you would like to see my handwriting, I will try to send you a few lines, but I am a poor man to write because I don’t have much time for that because I have to be with my father both summer and winter. Now we have much to do outside but it has not been cold this winter. Just a little snow and no storms up to this time. We use the wagon when we go to town.


Tomorrow papa and I are going to town to sell wheat, which we hauled in earlier, but it is so little price for wheat. This fall under 50¢ a bushel. This fall we bought a new binder. It should cost $130 but they got four oxen. We sold them according to weight so we got $106. We also sold two cows and got $26 each.


Because you can’t see me, I have to tell you I have become big but not as fat as when you saw me. I am well grown and strong and I am never sick, which is good. It is soon Christmas and Mama has promised me something nice if I learn my lesson, and that makes me glad. Live well, then, dear grandfather. I hope you live long and happily.


Dearest greeting from your Micheal T. L.


No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Live Well Letters by Kristie Nelson-Neuhaus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.