Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sigrid's Journey to America Begins

In 1919, Sigrid wrote an account of her journey from Norway to America. Her daughter, Selma Lillehaugen Moe, translated this account and Tosten's autobiography during the winter of 1945-1946.

We're going to quote from Sigrid in the next series of posts.

"On the 26th of April, 1885, our three children (Anna, Mikkel, and Lars) and I left my dear native land Gjeldaker, Al, Hallingdal and began the long journey to America, where my husband had already been for one year.

Many dear memories are linked to that dear home and those whom I left behind that day. My father, who already was past middle age, grieved our departure very deeply. So much so, in fact, that the next day he contracted pneumonia. His prayers for our welfare and safe voyage went with me and my family throughout my whole life's journey. Because he was a man of prayer, and I being his only daughter and only child by his first marriage, I can understand now what it meant for parents to be left alone and see their children venture out into this world filled with trials and temptations.

The farewell with Father, Mother, and friends I omit. Only those of our Norwegian descent who have had this actual experience can fully appreciate and understand what such a farewell really means. Therefore only in my own memory will this scene be reviewed and relived. "

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Live Well Letters by Kristie Nelson-Neuhaus is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.